Our highly skilled surgical referral team comprises Helena Wilkes BVetMed CertSAS MRCVS, Pru Harvey BVSc CertAVP(ZM) CertAVP(GSAS) MRCVS and Kat Hall BVSc PGCert SAS MRCVS. Helena and Pru are RCVS Recognised Advanced Practitioners in Small Animal Surgery with Kat soon to receive this recognition as well. They are supported by a highly qualified and skilled nursing team.
They are all very happy to take referrals for soft tissue and orthopaedic surgery, including:
- Cruciate surgery*
- Fracture fixation
- Patella luxation
- Laryngeal tieback
- Total Ear Canal Ablation with Bulla Osteotomy
- Salivary Gland surgery
- Brachycephalic Obstructive Airway Syndrome (BOAS) surgery
- Thoracic surgery – diaphragmatic hernias, oesophageal foreign bodies/tumours, lung lobe torsion, patent ductus arteriosus etc
- Urogenital surgery – including ureteral and prostatic surgery as well as colposuspension
- Gastrointestinal and hepatic (liver) surgery – including gastric dilatation and volvulus with gastropexy, gall bladder surgery and liver lobe resection
- Surgical oncology (surgical treatment of tumours)
- Perineal surgery – hernias, anal gland removal (added)
- Wound management and Skin reconstruction – flaps, grafts (added)
*Cruciate disease management
Cruciate ligament rupture is the most common cause of hind limb pain and lameness in dogs, but not all patients require the same treatment.
There are many options available for cruciate surgery, and we tailor the treatment necessary to your pet’s individual needs.
Pre-operative assessment, surgery and post-operative care are all performed by our highly experienced small animal surgery certificate holders Helena, Pru and Kat. They are based at our RCVS accredited veterinary hospital in Falmouth providing 24-hour care for your pet.
Procedures we offer include:
- Tibial platea leveling osteotomy (TPLO) utilising either a radial cut or closing wedge
- Tibial Tuberosity advancement (TTA)
- Lateral suture (for dogs under 15kg and cats)