Spring and Easter are a wonderful time for daily exercise outdoors, fresh air for you and your pets and an abundance of chocolate! Like us, pets benefit from regular exercise and a balanced diet. However, remember that some of the things we enjoy the most at this time of year can be dangerous to our pets.
- Chocolate Easter eggs are very dangerous for dogs if ingested. Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine, which causes symptoms such as vomiting, seizures, muscle stiffness and tremors. These signs can take between 4 and 24 hours to appear.
- Raisins and coffee beans in chocolate can also be dangerous to our pets.
- Xylitol is a naturally occurring sugar replacement found in sweets – and peanut butter. While harmless to humans, it can cause severe liver damage and low glucose levels in dogs, if eaten, which can lead to seizures or worse. Keep sweets well out of reach of your pets.
- Easter lilies are popular but every part of a lily is poisonous to cats and can cause severe kidney damage. Signs to look out for include vomiting, diarrhoea, extreme thirst and seizures. For safety, if you have cats, avoid having lilies in the house altogether.
- Daffodils are toxic to dogs. Signs to watch out for include vomiting and lethargy.
- Ensure indoor flowers are well out of reach so your pets cannot nibble them or drink the water they are in.
If you suspect your pet has eaten any of the items mentioned, get them to a vet as soon as possible, especially if they are showing any of the above symptoms.